Different types of contractors are available for various activities relating to home improvement such as general maintenance, home remodeling, upgrading, exterior work, etc. Besides these are the general contractors, who take up construction projects as a whole. Before you want to establish yourself as an independent professional or hire the services of such a professional, you need to check out the basic qualifications and requirements. The following is a list of license and other essential specifications for contractors, especially those belonging to the general category.
1. Possess a degree or basic qualification in construction or related subjects and a minimum of 2 years work experience in home construction, improvement, or related activities.
2. Submit a credit report form, which provides details of your ability to repay debts and other long-term expenditures that are bound to occur in the course of the work.
3. Provide articles of incorporation and a certificate of the good standing from the local or regional Assessment & Taxation Department, especially if you are representing any company.
4. Check the state’s regulations regarding licensing and use of a trade name and its availability. You will need to register the name with the assessment and taxation department of the concerned state, and submit a registration certificate for the trade name along with the license application.
5. You should possess a $50,000 liability insurance that is valid and active.
6. You need to renew your license every 2 years.
7. To work as a general contractor legitimately in the United States, you must:
a. Be minimum 18 years of age
b. Have valid citizenship or legal residency document proofs
c. Have valid and active liability and worker’s compensation insurance
d. Possess a valid certificate of insurance that includes policy limitations, validity date, etc.
A general contractor is one who takes up entire construction work and therefore should accept complete responsibility for the entire process and the ultimate result. He can hire subcontractors to take care of various aspects of the project. Generally, he signs an agreement that is legally binding to complete the project. This contract can be signed in the capacity as an individual or as a representative of the construction company. He hires subcontractors for specialty areas such as plumbing, electrical work, roofing, etc. and directly deals with these workers, including their payments.
Although there are different types of construction specialists with vast experience in their field, they can’t claim to be a contractor until they satisfy certain basic criteria. Every professional has to satisfy certain qualifications and requirements to work as contractor, legally.