Types of Roofs
Depending on the aesthetics, insulation and the style and look that you have in mind, you can go for different types of roofs pretty much wherever you live in the country.
- Asphalt shingle
- Modified Bitumen
- Traditional tile
- Wood shake
- Natural Slate
- Single or Multiple Ply
Single or Multiple Ply, Asphalt and Modified Bitumen are great options if you want a flat roof or a roof with a gentle slope. Modified bitumen is made out of a blend of polymer and asphalt, and is covered with a coating that provides roof reflectivity. It is of note that in many colder climates, roof reflectivity is not an important consideration.
Signs of a good Roofing Contractor
Different cities have different market dynamics – in the Rocky Mountains, for example, it is common practice for roofing contractors to offer a free roofing estimate. Here are some characteristics of a good roofing contractor in should you suspect that you have some roof damage and would like an estimate for repair:
- Appropriate Worker Comp Insurance. You should ask any god contractors for their insurance papers; this means worker compensation and liability insurance
- Free Estimate of the work
- Warranties on Work Done if they are good, they should back up their work with a warranty
- An excellent local record and the ability to provide testimonials
Roof Replacement for Areas With Snowy Winters
It can snow quite a bit in some parts of the country – some years as much as 60 inches or more in the Northeast, so you should make sure that your roofing choice is compatible with heavy and frequent snow. Here are some things you should know about roofs and heavy snows;
- Make sure that you fasten your gutters securely. For a flat roof make sure that its drains are functioning properly
- Do not use a snow blower on a roof – these can tear up some types of roofs
- In the same vein, never use an ice pick to remove snow from a roof
I hope that these broad tips and ideas help you out with roofing replacement and roof repairs no matter where you live in the U.S.