Your next question is: Can I install my own metal roof? If you have basic construction knowledge, have the ability to use basic tools and are able to climb a ladder, I sure don’t see any reason why you can’t install a metal roof.
You will need to know material sourcing, roof preparation and metal roof installation techniques.
– Let’s start with the roofing materials. You need to decide what type and style of metal roofing you want to use.
– Grand Rib 3 style roofing is one of the most common styles. It is popular, inexpensive, vertical style metal panel with clean traditional lines. Horizon or Alu Loc is another vertical style metal panel that many architects spec out for custom home construction. Shingle Style Metal Roofing is another option. Metal shingles that resemble wood, tile and slate are available.
Search for Grand Rib 3, Alu Loc and Shingle Style Metal Roofing on the internet for more information.
– When you have decided on the style of metal roof that fits your home and abilities. The next thing you will need to do is get roofing materials quote so you can have a budget for your project.
Many companies on the internet offer a Metal Roofing Online Estimate free of charge. Most of these are just that, an estimate. What you really want is a Metal Roofing Analysis. The Metal Roofing Analysis includes a panel cut list, a drawing that shows the panel layout and a complete quote that includes trim and fasteners.
To receive a Metal Roofing Analysis; make a simple drawing of your roof that includes dimensions. The drawing doesn’t have to be pretty but it does need to include all of the ridge lines, hip lines, valleys, transitions, dormers, porches or anything else that you may think is important. Most metal roof companies will accept a simple faxed drawing or a scanned drawing that you can email; again you don’t have to be a draftsman unless you enjoy that sort of thing.
Search for Metal Roofing Analysis or Metal Roofing Online Estimate to locate internet companies that provide free metal roofing quotes.
– The next step is to evaluate your existing roof and decide if it needs any repairs before you install your metal roof.
A metal roof can be installed over existing shingles as long as there is only one layer of shingles. Any shingles that are curled or loose need to be removed before the metal is installed. Walk around on your roof and test it for soft or spongy areas, you may need to replace plywood or OSB if any bad areas are found. Crawl up in your attic and inspect the underside of the roof sheathing and framework for water damage and structural damage.
– When you have all of the repairs complete it is time to prepare the roof surface for the metal roof. Metal Roof Underlayment should be installed over the existing shingles to protect the new roofing from the sandpaper effect of the shingles. Synthetic metal roofing underlayment is also an excellent choice for new construction or remodels. You will find sources for Metal Roof Underlayment on the internet if you search for it. Install the underlayment per directions, pay special attention to the number of nails needed to secure the underlayment to your roof for best results.
– At last you are ready to install the style of metal roof that you have selected. Hopefully by now you have studied the installation instructions and looked over all of the details that apply to your particular roof. Do not get in a hurry, remember it is easier and less expensive to measure twice and cut once. If there is a section of the installation instructions that you do not understand consult your roofing supplier and ask for advice and additional resources. Many times a simple detailed drawing is all that you will need to understand a particular part of the installation. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, when it comes to do-it-yourself projects there is no such thing as a stupid question.