A household who wanted to use solar energy in all their electrical needs must purchase solar electric panels from a wide variety of producers or may research online. Solar panels are usually mounted in roof and building tops, or installed using stand alone facilities where it can get the best sun exposure. Solar panel installation may be done by homeowners using the installation tips found on the web or may be done by a professional solar panel installer. The PV cells are usually encased together in a metal frame, most of the time aluminum.
This will allow the panels to be screwed or clamped easily on roofs. The materials needed for installation are: roof anchors that are made of steel or aluminum, it is used as the base of the mount and where the mounting frame is attached; the mounting frame that is secured to the roof anchors using a special locking system and bolts to screw it tightly, it is where the panels are attached using clamps; and the last material you need is the clamp, used to secure the solar panels on the mounting frame. The clamps may be end-clamp and mid-clamp depending on the number of panels that need to be secured.
After you have all the components needed for solar panel installation, the process can now begin. Most of the installation team will survey the area most especially the location where it is mounted.
• Scaffolding. This is actually placed by the installation team before the installation process begins. It is usually erected to reach the roofs for easy mounting. Ladders are incorporated to ensure safety in accordance with the Health and Safety codes.
• Positioning the roof anchors. Before these are installed to the roof, it is first surveyed, properly measured and marked to indicate correct positioning of panels. Positioning phase is very vital in every installation to ensure that the panel frames are in its correct locations.
• Attaching the frame. After the roof anchors are secured properly on the roof, the aluminum mounting frame or bars are attached. There is a need to ensure that these are parallel to each other before locking it in place.
• Installing PV panels. This is done after the bars where the frame is placed are mounted properly. It may be in rows or columns depending on its roof space.
• Wiring the panels. These panels must be wired together to produce a complete electrical system.
For every solar panel installation, it is necessary to plan it first before undergoing the mounting procedure. It is also advisable that it is done during roof construction or re-roofing.